Remedies from Grandma’s kitchen
KHANIJ ARYA, 3rd-year MBBS
GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGE PATIALA
The kitchen is a place where magic is created…be it a potion or a lovely chocolate cake. My most fond memory growing up has always been my grandmother oiling my hair with her secret oil recipe and not to forget her secret hand kung-fu. As we all grew up we all have forgotten our grandma’s kitchen and have been far too indulged in the webs of chemicals. That home touch remains long lost. So here’s an article that takes you back home, to your very roots about the remedies that have been passed from one generation to another in our grandma’s kitchen. Have a lovely read!
Let’s begin with that beautiful face of yours… Oh, My!! You’re such a beauty…
But I see your worries…Oily Skin? Dry Skin? Or Combination?? No worries I got it all. Let’s begin our journey with the oldest spice in the house…drum roll….. ‘Turmeric’
- Turmeric (For Dry & Oily Skin)
Turmeric is the auspicious spice of our household, from birth to burial it stays with us. It is a powerful antioxidant with antibacterial properties helping us achieve that wonderful glow. Not only does it give your skin a glow, but turmeric also makes the skin rejuvenated and keeps dull skin at bay.
It has curcumin which is an anti-inflammatory agent, thus helping to get rid of puffiness.
Fun Fact: It’s being researched for the possible treatment of psoriasis.
Remedy- The Turmeric Tantalising Glow
Things you need
- teaspoon of turmeric
- a cup of gram flour (chickpea flour)
- a cup of milk water
- Rose water (optional)
- Mix about half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a cup of gram flour (chickpea flour).
- Add milk/water and mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Add a few drops of rose water and mix.
- Apply the paste on your face and neck and leave it to dry.
- Rinse with cool water.
- Honey (For Oily, Acne-Prone & Combination Skin)
Honey is not only sweet to taste but a great moisturiser too. Its antibacterial nature prevents us from any infection and helps us reduce blemishes and acne. Its bleaching properties help to fade away pigmentation and scars.
Remedy – The Honey Pot for Spotless Skin
Things you need
- Clean your face and neck.
- On a damp face apply honey.
- Massage for a few minutes as it gets absorbed into the skin.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
3. Olive Oil (For Dry Skin)
Olive oil is more than our favourite salad dressing. It acts as an antioxidant and helps in preventing early ageing of the skin. Putting olive oil on the skin after exposure to the sun is known to fight cancer-causing cells!! Olive oil is known to repair skin damage.
Remedy – Olive Oil for the Old
Things you need
- Olive oil
- Warm water
- Take a few drops of olive oil and apply them all over your face and neck.
- Massage in an upward direction for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Dip a towel in warm water, squeeze off the excess water and place it on your face and neck for about a minute.
- Dip the towel again in warm water and use it to gently wipe off the excess oil. Dry off the face and neck area.
- For best results do it at night just before you hit the bed!!
- You should also include this step in your monsoon skincare routine.(1)
Well, we can’t leave our pretty hair behind, can we?? So here are the secret weapons straight from my grandma…
- Neem + Almond oil (For Dandruff Control)
Dandruff is possibly the most common hair concern and our grannies have a solution for that too. Neem is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids. It also has anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, making your hair healthy and dandruff-free.
Remedy- N in Neem is for No Dandruff
Things you need-
- 5-6 Neem leaves
- 100 ml Almond oil
- Dry a few neem leaves for 2-4 days.
- Boil 100 ml of almond oil with the dried neem leaves.
- Soak the leaves in the oil for at least a week.
- The oil will turn green in the period.
- Filter the oil and it’s ready for you to use.
2. Methi a.k.a Fenugreek (For Hairfall)
Fenugreek possesses hair growth-promoting properties. It not only reduces hair loss significantly but also stimulates new hair growth making it a perfect hair fall solution.
Remedy- Yes Fenugreek, No hair fall
Things you need–
- ½ cup of fenugreek seeds
- Soak half a cup of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Grind the soaked paste.
- Apply it as a hair mask and leave it on for 30-60 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Repeat once a week for best results.
3. Curry leaves + Coconut oil (For Thick Black Hair)
Curry leaves not only go together with coconut chutney but also is a hero ingredient when added to coconut oil. Rich in essential nutrients and antioxidants it prevents thinning of hair and strengthens hair follicles. It also prevents greying of hair.
Remedy- The Coconut Curry Slay
Things you need-
- Curry Leaves
- 100ml coconut oil
- Dry curry leaves in the sun for 2-3 days.
- Boil them in 100 ml of coconut oil for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Filter and use the mixture to massage your hair and scalp
Hasta la vista, our journey ends here. But what do you have planned out for your girls’ night??(2)
PS. I love chocolate cake!!